Hiring a skip is a relatively straight forward process. But if you have never hired a skip before, you may be unsure about how to go about it.
In this blog, we’re going to cover the basics and share our advice on how to hire a skip.
Factors To Consider Before Hiring A Skip
Whether you’re hiring a skip for your business or your home, there are a few factors to consider beforehand.
You may want to think about what size skip you would like, as there are various sizes including 4-yard skips, 6-yard skips, 8-yard skips and 12-yard skips. The skip hire company you choose will be able to provide you with information on their different sizes when you contact them.
For example, a mini skip would be 4 yards and would fit up 30 bin bags worth of waste. Whereas a large skip would be 12 yards and would fit up to 100 bin bags worth of waste, or 35 wheelie bins full of waste.
Another thing to consider is the type of waste you will be putting in the skip. General waste such as furniture, toys, cardboard and paper, bricks and blocks, soil and plastics can go in most skips without a problem. But other items such as batteries, medical waste, food waster, paint cans, fridges/freezers and aerosols can’t go in a standard skip.
You should also consider how long you would like the skip for and how high you can fill the skip. Finally, you should think about where the skip will be located and ensure that it is going to fit.
At The Waste Group, we’re experts in managing your waste. We will be able to advise you on which skip is best for your needs. For example, if you’re a construction business working on a site, you will require a different skip than a homeowner who is having a Spring clear-out.
How Does Skip Hire Work?
Skip hire doesn’t have to be confusing. With the right help, hiring a skip can be straightforward! You simply:
- Find a skip hire company that offers what you’re looking for.
- Get in touch with them via phone, email or via their website.
- Explain what you need a skip for and how long you will need the skip for. Talk through your options.
- If you think they have the type of skip you require, request a quote.
- If you’re happy with the quote, hire the skip.
- If you don’t own your property, the skip hire company may have to apply for a permit/licence to place the skip on the road. This may take a few days.
- Tell the skip hire company where you would like the skip to be placed and agree on a time and date for delivery. You don’t have to be there – as long as they’re aware of where you want the skip to go.
- Pay for the skip.
- Fill the skip with your waste within the allotted time you have hired the skip for. You can usually hire a skip for various lengths of time, from a couple of days up to two weeks. Or even longer if required.
- The skip hire company will then come and collect the skip and correctly dispose of your waste.
How Do I Find A Skip Hire Company?
You will be able to find a local skip hire company through searching Google. Remember to always check reviews before choosing a company. If you require regular skip hire and would like to partner up with a trustworthy company that offers a range of waste solutions, head to our website.
Here at The Waste Group, we provide national skip hire and have 10 years of experience under our belts. Plus, aside from skips, we also offer roll on roll off bins, an asbestos disposal service and we have our own tipping facility. We welcome trade and waste management companies to tip with us at our environmentally-friendly site in Dorset.
We operate within the Dorset Area including Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch, Ringwood, Weymouth and Dorchester. However, we are also a national company with relationships across the whole of the UK.
Get In Touch
You can find out more about our services or get a quick quote here. You can order your skip online and we currently have a Skip Hire Price Match Promise! Plus, we offer next day delivery on your skip if you order before midday.
Alternatively, get in touch to discuss our services, including our National Skip Hire for businesses.